Author Topic: MEET SAMARITANS VOLUNTEERS AND CONSIDER VOLUNTEERING?  (Read 1663 times)

John Grantham

MEET SAMARITANS VOLUNTEERS AND CONSIDER VOLUNTEERING?
« on: September 18, 2006, 12:16:22 PM »
Hello reader,

For some time I was a volunteer on the phones at Weymouth Samaritans and I now help in recruitment... an area of great need...

I am convinced there are people in Chickerell and in Weymouth generally who - if they had more information on this organisation's vital work would - like me - wish to do a few hours a week towards it. Whether you would find the work suitable for you, or whether the Samaritans' particular way of training/working would enable you to fit into their parameters only time would tell....but one should start from somewhere...so here goes. (And there is absolutely no obligation in learning more but subsequently saying 'Sorry, it's not for me')

We need helpers on the phone (and optionally on email) but we also welcome fundraising and administrative volunteers....

If you are 18 or over and would like to learn more, please give me a call on 07990-583167 to let me know which of the following four 1-hour presentations/discussions you would like to attend at Chickerell town Council Rooms, Putton Lane, Chickerell: Wed 18th or Thurs 19th October at 6.30 or 8.30pm on each evening. Or I will let you know of a subsequent one.

I would also welcome any ideas for how I can get the news of these sessions over to more people in Chickerell - I shall be dropping an invitation into every home in Chickerell in a week's time, but people get a lot of mail, and if you are aware of any groups I can come to speak to for two minutes at the end, I would welcome your help. If you yourself are interested, or if you know of any friends who you think could be interested, do come along, and please let them know. Or if you have any other ideas on how I can spread-the-word I would welcome this. (There will be a short film on 18th/19th, a short talk and the rest of the hour will be answering your questions.)

Finally if you know of anyone at this time who is in need of support the office number of Samaritans is 01305-771777.

Thanks for reading this. John Grantham