Author Topic: The Triangle  (Read 1549 times)

DLAF

The Triangle
« on: April 27, 2012, 11:08:03 AM »
This piece of land that I have always known as the triangle was once a clay pit? This was before my time (still being a youngster) I would be interested to learn more about it. I understand it was never built on due to being used as a dumping ground for cars etc (see this months contact) when the Chickerell downs development was built did they just fill it in?

Darzet boy

Re: The Triangle
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 08:41:24 AM »
Dorset County Council have the Dorset Explorer mapping and information system. On there in the Layers section is the aerial photographs that the RAF took in 1947 and that Dorset County took in 1997.

This image is from the 1947 map, on which I have drawn Glennie Way and the Clay Pit by overlaying the 1997 image over the 1947 map

You'll note that in 1947 the Clay Pit area was just a field with a couple of buildings. All that can be seen on the ground is concrete and metal ? which is easily associated with buildings

DLAF

Re: The Triangle
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 11:23:36 AM »
Thanks for that, very kind. Isn't interesting to look at how it was before and how the development has changed the area. With the new builds at Floods and soon behind Putton lane will bring another new era to Chickerell a lot like the Chickerell Down's development did.