Author Topic: Putton Lane  (Read 4567 times)

POPPY

Putton Lane
« on: April 02, 2012, 05:11:07 PM »
Does anyone know anything about Putton Lane and the pond that never has water in it or any historical information relating to natural watercourses in the area?

Darzet boy

Re: Putton Lane
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 09:30:38 PM »
Hi Poppy

Do you mean the dampish pond hollow and grass area that sits between 10 Putton Lane/Browns Crescent and Pugmill Lane, and has a path through to the Bindells?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:34:22 PM by Darzet boy »

POPPY

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 10:22:19 AM »
Yes that's the one,  not sure why it doesn't have water in. I live nearby and we have water under our floorboards all year round and its not a leak of any sort so trying to find out a bit more about the area.

Darzet boy

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 11:59:22 PM »
Chickerell is sat on clay. Clay is rather small particles, so holds water well whilst stopping water from flowing away. However, when the clay does dry out it becomes cracked and solid  - hence why it?s no good for gardening.

The pond in question used to be the water catchment area for the local fields, but the development of The Bindells and Pugmill Lane changed that and stopped the flow of water to the pond. It is a shame that the rain water from the adjacent properties isn?t used to top the pond up.

The pond and grass area are owned and vaguely maintained by Chickerell Town Council. But it was recently necessary for Dorset County Council to serve notice on the Town Council after the Town Council failed to inspect the trees or clear a number of dead trees that had snapped in the winds and lay in the road for a number of weeks.

Go here http://maps.dorsetforyou.com/highways/reportproblem/

and type 405041 into the Enquiry number box on the right
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:37:45 PM by Admin »

POPPY

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 09:18:53 AM »
Thanks for the info. I do wonder then where the water is going if it isn't going to the pond not unless it all goes into highway drains??  DCC &,WDDC I have conctacted them both didn't know what the purpose of the pond was even the environment agency have it recorded as a pond (now empty!).  Our problem has got worse since building of Facey Road but DCC think highway drains etc are sufficient in the area.  I was wondering if there were any springs in Putton Lane?

Darzet boy

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 12:17:52 AM »
DCC's response sounds like the standard (we don't know or care) fob off

I think you'll find that Putton Lane had roadside ditches down both sides of it, but not 100%.

The ditch along the front of the pond area to Kiln Terrace etc is underneath the edge of the road, as shown by the drain grills in front of the garden walls. But the other side of the road may well be blocked somewhere.

Maybe you should follow the roadside ditch from 10 A Putton Lane towards 10 Putton Lane and see where the water actually flows, and where it should flow.

I don't know if any of the field hedges between Putton Lane and Green Lane (the track part not the tarmac road) have ditches along them, but would have thought that the water is supposed to flow down to near the Putton Lane gate of the Woodland Trust site.

Once water gets to the lowest part of this section of Putton Lane (where the man hole covers are on the wide verge near said gate) then it flows east along a field side ditch to the ponds east of Bennets (towards the football stadium).
But there is a blocked culvert under the road somewhere, which is why that part always floods after rain. And no doubt others are blocked as well.

POPPY

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 05:10:31 PM »
Thanks for the info, highways have been out and blasted drains along this stretch and replaced a broken drain but not sure where they started their checks from. All the gulleys on onside of putton lane before the pond are completely overgrown. We are going to take a stroll to see what you have said but there is definitely something amiss. What is concerning is the councils lack of knowledge of the drainage systems and water in the area. Will let you know we discover if anything, you have been very helpful. I do know that the gulley next to number 8 is always dry ?!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:13:42 PM by POPPY »

Darzet boy

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 09:30:59 AM »
Ideally, you need to find someone who has a catscan. An electronic device that traces water, electric, pipes underground. i.e. Wessex Water, Southern Electric etc. A canscan can even find a leaking water pipe

You could ask Wessex Water to investigate due to sudden water in your property following local development, because it could get worse when Fry's start to build  :-(

To know where the ditch outside 10 A run would be your best starting point. I can't see the water from that corner/end of the ditch running east, but there is no visible drainage outside No 10. So it is either culvert (pipe) to No 8 or beyond, or it goes east past the burnt out stables or one of the other hedge lines across Elliott's fields.

Re Highways. Where I once lived, I came home to find the front of the house splattered in mud and a 15 foot long gash in the lawn. Turned out that Highways had come along and jet blasted the roadside drain. The drain was only 10 feet long, but was broken. The power hose had gone through the broken concrete and ripped the lawn up. Highways were adamant that the drain went around the house to the back of the property, but digging revealed the definite end of the drain 10 feet in. Nothing worse than Highway staff who refuse to accept that they got it wrong. Highways are not supposed to drain on to private land, and the years of water going under the house had caused the floor beams to rot. Something for you to think about.

Where does the water flow when it gets to the bottom end of Brown?s Crescent?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:51:08 AM by Darzet boy »

Darzet boy

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »
Poppy, I was looking at Dorset County Council's map base on Dorset Explorer. It shows the local watercourses for land drainage. The pink dashes are the PROW footpaths.

This map shows that there is no watercourse from Browns Crescent, so I guess that Fry's might be able to address the issue when they get round to building - if you raise it with WDDC and DCC.

The map base does however confirm that the regular flooding further along Putton Lane (opposite Bennetts) is a result of a watercourse not being maintained by the landowners under their riparian duties.
Link
http://195.49.180.76/DorsetExplorer/?easting=365509.49153987406&northing=80117.87759050367&zoom=1464.84375&Layers=,17&ptx=&pty=&version=general&brokergroup=

POPPY

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 08:41:56 AM »
Thanks for all the info. We think its some kind of spring the level of water never rose during all the rain we had. We think it goes under whole terrace although some properties now have concrete floors or concrete under the floorboards which was the recommendation from various builders which may just push water elsewhere. I am going to speak to Frys direct DCC haven't been much help in researching the matter. The pond is still a mystery and despite showing on various maps as having water in it never does. The watercourses along Putton Lane are a disgrace and need cleaning out. I'm not happy about Frys or Ponderosa development but it may bring much needed improvement and hopefully stop small cars and bike zooming through the green lane/Putton Lane section which was supposed to have been cut off.

Darzet boy

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 11:31:11 PM »
If you stand outside the front of 6 Pugmill and look into the pond, on the right hand side you will see a drain pipe with a shallow concrete trough around it.

I don't know if that pipe is to drain the road, or to drain the pond into the roadside culvert.

What I do know is that the terrace had problems with the culvert along Putton Lane flooding the area. DCC had to come and repair it. That was before the recent big rains, which may explain why you were having problems up to the big rains. Perhaps it was blocked enough to divert the water your way.

I asked Fry's about the drainage. It looks like they will be doing a lot of surface water drainage to a new pond near Green Barn  :-)