Author Topic: Allotments or land in Chickerell  (Read 4571 times)

POPPY

Allotments or land in Chickerell
« on: May 31, 2011, 02:42:14 PM »
Does anyone know of any land available in Chickerell for allotments? I am sure there are plenty of people in the village interested? Doesn't the local parish council have to find land if 6 people write to the local parish council providing there is land suitable, which there has to be? 

The legislation is the Smallholdings and Allotments Act 1908. Here's a link to it

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1908/pdf/ukpga_19080036_en.pdf

Darzet boy

Re: Allotments or land in Chickerell
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 12:35:01 AM »
Are the allotments on Fleet Lane all allocated?

POPPY

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 08:57:33 AM »
I think having an allotment needs to be somewhere that you can walk to rather than making it a trip out in the car which would be the case for Fleets Lane, although I won't rule it out as I am keen to have somewhere. I am trying to push it with Chickerell council.  Chickerell has no allotments although there are some allocated in the Fry's development but who knows when that will go ahead, personally I hope it doesnt. 

If there is anyone else out there interested please contact one of the local councillors as I have and hopefully it will be brought up at the next meeting.

Darzet boy

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 12:23:41 PM »
Established allotments already exist on Fleet Lane

Please don't forget that Chickerell Parish stretches from Wyke Bridging Camp and Value House Stores to Friar Waddon Hill and Hewish Farm

Out of interest, where do you think the allotments will be on Fry's developement ?

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 12:27:03 PM by Darzet boy »

rjimmer

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »
The church owns 20 acres, that used to be allotments, opposite Meadow Close.
Experience plus intelligence equals wisdom.

POPPY

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 10:36:07 AM »
I understand there used to be two allotments in the village. Maybe the ones opposite Meadow Close could be reinstated.

Not sure exactly where allotments are allocated on the Fry's development but they certainly have been put in the plan & this was confirmed to myself recently. Just seems unfair to have to wait for this development.

Darzet boy

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 10:12:40 PM »
Not sure exactly where allotments are allocated on the Fry's development but they certainly have been put in the plan & this was confirmed to myself recently. Just seems unfair to have to wait for this development.

Out of interest, Poppy, who confirmed it to you and what position do they hold?

POPPY

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 08:31:09 AM »
Do you know something else about this?  I won't name but it would be classed as a reliable source, this is the email I received

"Unfortunately there are no allotments in Chickerell at the present time but as  you are aware, there are allotments in the plans for the new Frys development."

Darzet boy

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 10:47:26 AM »
"Unfortunately there are no allotments in Chickerell at the present time but as  you are aware, there are allotments in the plans for the new Frys development."

The term "Don't count your chickens" springs to mind when dealing with West Dorset Planning

I have seen a development where a Doctors, Dentists, vets, pub, etc were all offered for a development in excess of 500 houses - and it took residents six years of fighting just to get the shop open. The pub, vets, doctors etc never happened and were "missed off" from revised plans.

I've had a closer look at the plans, and note that the area to the East of Green Lane is marked up for 50 allotments.

But two things to remember
1) Planning has not yet been approved
2) Fry's only own the land on the Western half of the proposed site. The Eastern side is still privately owned.

You can view the planning application and it's plans by going here http://eforms.dorsetforyou.com/planningapplications/(S(euptz355umqchibvmfnrbcmi))/pages/applicationsearch.aspx and entering Application Number 1/D/08/001147

POPPY

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 07:25:29 PM »
You never know the Town Council may come up with Allotments, could be a better choice in pushing them rather than waiting for the Fry's development which may or may not have Allotments. Still hoping it doesn't happen! I guess it will eventually just not in the current  economic climate. Had a drive along Fleets Lane but couldn't see the Allotments will take a look again.

nick

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 06:56:04 PM »
Hi

Myself and my wife have been in touch with the Town Council for the last four years but nothing has been forthcoming. We've even been in touch with Salisbury to see if they have any available or land for sale which we could use. Once again we've drawn a blank.

Probably the best way forward is to get 6 people together and present our request on mass.

POPPY

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 09:25:17 AM »
I have drawn a blank with the council too although it was brought up at the Parish meeting last Tuesday. A local councillor who I contacted on this matter has raised the issue & tried to help. This is the response I have received;-

There is no doubt that there is a demand for allotments in Chickerell as it was one of the issues raised by our neighbourhood plan when it was done a couple of years ago.  Consequently it was one of the conditions of Frys getting planning permission for the Floods Yard/Putton Lane developments.  Chickerell Council has yet to open the waiting  list for the plots as we don?t know when they will be available.  However we do know that once building commences Frys will have to make the plots ready for use when a third of the houses have been completed ? not after the whole thing is finished.  Unfortunately the Council does not own any land suitable for allotments so we would be relying on a private land owner to come forward to provide a site in the interim.  

Another avenue might be to approach the Church via the Salisbury Diocese who I believe own land in Chickerell.

I have made enquiries as to whether the District Council could donate some land in Chickerell but the only land currently owned by the District is the piece of green space at the bottom of Meadow Close.  Not really big enough .

Maybe we should try generating interest in contact?

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:26:22 PM by POPPY »